If you’re looking for a special ending to dinner or a Valentine’s treat with a lighter touch, these chocolate goodies will hit the spot
Skinny chocolate muffins
Pre 20 min
Cook 20 min
175g soft light brown muscovado sugar
150g beetroot, peeled and finely grated
175g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
100ml low-fat natural yogurt
1tbsp vanilla bean paste
100g plain chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together for 10 min to make a light and fluffy batter that has expanded in volume. Gently stir in the beetroot.
3. Sift over the flour, cocoa and baking powder, then carefully fold into the mixture. Fold in the yogurt, vanilla bean paste and chopped chocolate.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin cases until they are three-quarters full, then cook in the oven for 15–20 min.
5. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the tin. When they’re cool enough to touch, remove to a wire rack to cool completely.